Friday, July 10, 2009

An Interesting Week

On Monday we learned that the bus strike for Wednesday and Thursday was supposed to include a taxi strike as well. Bus strikes draw a lot of attention because they are the number one mode of transportation. Without the buses running, many people are stranded from work and school (sometimes this leads to rioting). In order to be sure that we would be able to return to school the next morning (and perhaps as a measure of safety as well), we spent the night at the school (in one of the apartments used for the teachers). Caleb stayed at the Carlton's. It did bring up some questions of whether God would ever use me here as a teacher and stay that apartment, but I'm trying not to plan too much of the future. One of the two mornings, we woke up early to see how far up the mountain we could climb before classes. The mountains are a constant marvel to me of God's creative power. We enjoyed our time and made it about halfway up a short mountain.

On Wednesday night, Rochelle and I went with the Poes to the house of a family in Miraflores. It was beautiful. We had luncheon (which is like a snack around the time of dinner). I enjoyed hearing about her conversions and the missionaries she knew in Trujillo. However, after about three hours of rapid Spanish conversation, I was mentally exhausted and ready to return to Fetzer and work on homework.

God has shown me more and more of what an opportunity it is to be here. I am truly blessed!

1 comment: