Friday, July 17, 2009

Cultural Blunders

When we first came to Peru, we were eating dinner and my Peruvian brother wanted to refill my glass. Without saying anything he stretched out his hand across the table. I didn’t have any idea what he wanted, so I stretched out my hand a shook his. Needless to say, everyone laughed at me and I still haven’t lived it down.

Rochelle and I have our own bathroom here. During the first week in broken Spanish, I asked if we could have more toilet paper because we were running low. My Peruvian mom looked surprised but didn’t say much. The next time we asked, she said, “Are we supposed to buy toilet paper for you?” We asked Pastor Jim if this was a cultural thing, and he said that toilet paper is a person hygiene item. We have found this to be true as even public bathrooms don’t have toilet paper and people carry their own.

“I unknowingly went to a reunion of the dead yesterday.” Another Arriba student said this the first week we were here after going to a memorial service with his pastor, but we still tease him about going to a séance.

No comments:

Post a Comment