Friday, July 31, 2009

Everything in my past experience led me to believe that the rain was pouring outside, but as I opened my eyes to greet the cool morning, I realized that the sound was coming from the river near our jungle bungalow. The others were still asleep so I crept out to see what was happening around camp. I found a quiet place to spend time with God in the second floor of an upstairs loft facing the sun climbing over the green mountains. The sound of birds greeting the morning filled the crisp air. (Somehow it was hard to focus on specific revelation when I was overwhelmed by the general around me, but if I had to choose one...specific is by far more important.)

Needless to say, the high jungle of Peru is phenomenal! The eight-hour commute in Pastor Jim's van flew by as we were surrounded by breathtaking mountains. We left the gray skies and smog of Lima and headed north on our first trip out of the city at 8 Monday mourning. After about four hours of steady climbing, we crossed the Andes at Ticlio (16,000 ft above sea level). The air was frigid (there was snow on the ground!!) and slightly lacking in what I would consider a standard oxygen level. We piled out for a brief stretch and photo opportunity (which might have included a bus of Peruvian soldiers...). A great time was had by all (especially Caleb who was able to touch a gun). We ate lunch a little farther down the mountain and a authentic restaurant. The air was still chilly, but the food was warm and the tea was delicious!

As we continued our journey northward, the mountains gradually became greener and and the air warmer. I was enthralled by the many waterfalls and the size of plants. The roads were dotted by small mining communities and stands selling fruit as we went further into the jungle region. We went through about 15 short tunnels on our trip. After the last tunnel, we turned off into a small gravel lot with a path that led down to a cable car. We took the cable car across the river and were officially at camp. As we climbed the hill, we came into a clearing that had a small pond, bungalo-style buildings, and peacocks meandering around...

...To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment