Friday, December 18, 2009

Introductions


Time is passing rapidly. I realized today that I left home seven months ago. That wasn’t as big of a shock as when the math hit me that that means that in four months Arriba is over. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I have a renewed sense of needing to take advantage of every moment and soak up all that I can.

We are settling in nicely with our family. Let me introduce you. My host, Miguel, is a former fisherman who recently opened a hardware store (the one above which we live). He is very curious about life in the States and English. It seems as though he cannot ask enough questions, (or does that just mean that I am not asking him enough questions?)

My hostess, Gina, is an elementary school teacher (she just recently finished her degree). She is constantly busy working in the hardware store, cooking, and cleaning. Her love for her family is obvious.

My oldest sister, Gina Elvira (18), is in her second year of studying psychology at one of the universities in town. She goes to classes in the morning and studies in the afternoons. She is quickly becoming one of my best friends here. She takes me with her when she has to go to the market, bakery, or any of the little stores new our house. She is starting to open up more and more, and I am learning to ask questions and share (without being asked). She is one of my best Spanish teachers. She not only corrects me as I speak, but also questions me later to make sure I am remembering. Some of my favorite times with her are when we are talking about what we are learning from the Bible. Everything is so new to her that it is a huge encouragement to me to keep studying.

Angie (13) is the youngest. She is a giggly one. She enjoys chatting with her friends online, watching TV, spending time with her friends, and exercising (if it doesn’t mean getting up early). She thinks that her family looks out for her too much and would like to get a break from their constant care, but realizes that they only do it because they love her.

It is an adjustment living with three girls (counting Rochelle) instead of three boys, but I am enjoying having sisters.

1 comment:

  1. It was lovely chatting with you the other day. Next time I have a cute/funny story about my ss kiddos...you are going to love it! (but it's better in person) Have a very merry Christmas!! I love you sister!

    ReplyDelete